To schedule an appointment/consultation with Optimal Health and Wellness, please call the office at 828-279-7998 or email us at email@example.com for additional information and scheduling.
We offer Functional Medicine consultations with an emphasis on Diet & Lifestyle. We provide you with knowledge, empowering you with information that you may use to improve your own health and wellbeing, by addressing the root causes of disease and dysfunction. Our focus is on a natural approach to healing, looking upstream to where disease begins. This may lead to your feeling better, looking better, and getting off of the healthcare roller coaster
Optimal Health & Wellness
Functional & Lifestyle Medicine – Empower Yourself and Take Control of Your Health
Functional Medicine uses an integrative approach with an emphasis on identifying root causes that lead to an individual’s illnesses and poor health. By addressing these, through modifications in lifestyle factors and other triggers of dysfunction, it is possible to improve, reverse, or even eliminate many of these conditions. It is an holistic approach with a focus on every aspect that makes us who we are.
We are presently ill-served by the conventional model of utilizing a pharmaceutical treatment for every condition, “a pill for every ill”, focused on suppression of symptoms rather than a cure, all while the disease process continues unabated. While there is a time and place for medications, they are now used as the primary treatment in the majority of these chronic medical conditions. History shows that this has only led to further disease progression. The success rate of cure with pharmaceutical therapies is quite low. While it may be necessary to be on pharmaceutical treatments for a period of time, providing symptom relief and reducing immediate or impending risks, there will be little long-term benefit if the underlying cause is not addressed.
Improving people’s lives through lifestyle modification – dietary changes, proper nutrition, effective exercise, stress management, targeted supplementation and optimized sleep – attention to the mind, body & spirit – you can achieve dramatic changes in your life. Our goal is to help individuals learn how to thrive, not just survive, by imparting this knowledge to them and offering testing that can help identify root causes of dysfunction, before a disease has even developed, and providing guidance to help reverse this process.
Our office offers advanced testing through functional labs (eg. Genova Diagnostics, Cyrex Labs, etc) that better identify root causes and specific areas that therapies can be targeted. Conventional laboratory assessments are offered through Quest Diagnostics.
We offer medical consultations focused on the prevention or management of chronic medical conditions. We use a Functional Medicine approach to identify abnormalities (root causes) and address them. We offer an education with every consultation. This knowledge enables you to take control of your own health and empowers the individual to improve themselves. Consultations can be provided in our office, your home or a public venue. We offer individual, family or group consultations and discussions but each person is evaluated individually and we charge per person. We do offer group discounts.
Our focus is on the individual patient: a biochemically unique person, with their own life experiences, food preferences and intolerances, physical abilities, life circumstances, spiritual beliefs, education level, social structure, prior medical therapies, environmental exposures and genetics. There is no “One Size Fits All” and we help to find the right path for you, addressing your specific needs and desires.
The body is capable of healing itself…. We help you learn how.
Our Featured Services Include:
- Initial Comprehensive Functional Medicine Consultation
- 90-120 minute consultation where we review information from your intake forms, identify underlying processes contributing to symptoms or disease and then formulate an initial plan of action to address underlying imbalances or deficiencies. A functional medicine prescription is provided with diet and lifestyle recommendations, exercise prescription, supportive supplements and recommendations for referrals that may be helpful.
- Comprehensive Follow Up Visit
- 60 minute appointment to evaluate progress since initial or prior visit, review any labs performed in the interim and to make modifications in the prescription to facilitate continued healing and progress.
- This is a relatively comprehensive appointment with an emphasis on making ongoing modifications in diet, lifestyle and/or supplements. Healing takes time and change is often needed as we identify new things (eg. specific food sensitivities, autoimmunity), pinpoint insufficiencies (eg. nutritional, pancreatic enzymes, gastric acid) and continue to address ongoing imbalances.
- Brief Follow Up Visit
- 30 minute appointment to check in on how you are doing, monitor symptom or disease progress, brief review of labs or other diagnostics and further recommendations.
- This is a brief visit, once you are well-established on your path and just in need of some fine tuning, added support or simple modifications in your new lifestyle or supplements. By this point you should be well on your way to independence from the conventional healthcare system and only need some ongoing support or follow up testing.
Referral Guide: We have aligned with independent practitioners in other complementary & holistic practices. We can offer suggestions for the best local holistic practitioners in different specialities to best meet your personal needs and help you to achieve optimal health.
- Exercise Physiologist/Trainer
- Yoga Instruction
- Stress Management
- Counseling / Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
Functional Medicine Education
- We offer educational sessions to families or small groups. These are for individuals that are interested in learning more about diet and lifestyle factors that contribute to dysfunction & disease and in approaches to counter these effects.
- There are no specific, individualized recommendations in these sessions. They are intended for obtaining knowledge only and there will be no individual prescriptions given.
- These can be offered as formal lectures (eg. power point), informal discussions or as Q&A sessions.
- Areas Covered in each Lecture/Discussion:
Nutritional and Dietary Modifications
Contributing Factors to Disease & Dysfunction (Triggers and Mediators)
Suggested Supplementation for systems support
- Additional Services:
- Referral to Resources needed to Meet Your Goals and Improve Your Health – Local, Regional and National – See Resources Page on the website. It is fairly comprehensive.
- Meal Planning – Individualized to your specific needs – $100
- Preparation of an Exercise Program Suited to Your Specific Needs – $150
- We maintain memberships at several local fitness centers, including: Athletic Performance Lab, Phifer Wellness, Workout Anytime, Planet Fitness, Spa Athletic Club, YMCA of Western North Carolina.
- We meet with you at the gym and guide you through an introduction to the equipment (machines, free weights, cardio) and provide a basic template routine for you to start with based on specific needs and abilities.
- In-Home Assessment – evaluation of your living environment, pantry and refrigerator, with subsequent recommendations on how to clean out the bad and introduce the good into your home – $150
- Supermarket Plan – a guided tour through your supermarket where we provide education, review food labels, best food choices, items to avoid, etc – $150
Topics for Consideration
- Leaky Gut Syndrome – The impact of intestinal permeability on health and disease
- Gluten and Other Food Sensitivities
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Sex Hormone Imbalances
- Thyroid Dysregulation
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Diabetes – The Better Approach
- The Cholesterol Panel – What Does it All Mean
- Dysbiosis and Disease – The Importance of Our Gut Microbes
- Exercise and Your Health
- Paleo/Primal Diet
- Nutrition and Your Health – More important than you may realize
- Chronic Infectons – How They Impact on Daily Function
- Autoimmunity & Molecular Mimicry
- Stress and Disease
- The Importance of Social Connectedness
- The pathway to Cardiovascular Disease
- Fats – Why do they matter and which ones do I need
- A Keto Approach to Healthy Living
- Eating Healthy on the Cheap
- These are just suggested topics and they can be modified or even combined into single discussions.
- Additional topics are always welcome. You choose the topic you wish to have reviewed.
- We can review your topics of interest when you contact us and formulate a discussion that will be pertinent and relevant to you and your attendees.
We Accept: MC/VISA, Check or Cash for payments.
Payments may be made in advance or at time of service.
We do not accept insurance for reimbursement.
The services we offer are not considered to be standard conventional therapies and the compensation provided by insurance companies, if any, is negligible and would prohibit us from being able to offer the services we do.
We can provide you with a receipt for your visit with us that you can submit to your insurance company for attempt at reimbursement or to count toward your annual deductible. We offer no assurances that you will receive reimbursement for our assessment. Payment to us must be made at the time of visit.
We do not complete insurance claims nor submit claims to insurance companies on anyone’s behalf.
We have no affiliation with any insurance companies and do not fall under “Network Provider” status.
Medicare Recipients: We do not accept Medicare and cannot submit a bill through Medicare, or a supplemental insurance, for reimbursement. If you have Medicare then we cannot offer a consultation due to billing through Medicare and the federal regulations.
We offer conventional laboratory testing through Quest Diagnostics.
- We do not provide phlebotomy in our office. After labs are ordered, you can present to a Quest Patient Service Center where your blood will be drawn and the samples run. The results are then forwarded to our office and will be reviewed with you at your follow up visit.
Advanced, Functional Labs that we use include:
Some examples of advanced diagnostic testing that we may discuss include:
- Salivary Hormones – identifying the need for and monitoring of hormone replacement therapy
- 24 hour urine hormones with metabolites – assessing the metabolism pathways of estrogen and detoxification pathways
- 28 day cycle salivary hormones – to assess menstrual irregularities, infertility concerns and hormone imbalances
- Salivary Cortisol Stress Profile – assess for adrenal fatigue
- Comprehensive Thyroid Testing – TSH, Total T4, Free T4, Total T3, Free T3, Reverse T3, Thyroid Antibodies
- Food Sensitivity Panels – identify food sensitivities, which may assist in recommendations for food eliminations
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis – for evaluation of dysbiosis, parasites or candida (yeast) overgrowth using the GI Effects Profile from Genova Diagnostics
- Nutritional Profiles – assessing for specific nutrient deficiencies and for targeted supplementation
- Heavy Metal Analysis – Blood, Urine – Provoked, Unprovoked
- Celiac and Gluten Sensitivity Panels, as well as Gluten Cross Reactivity Screens, through Cyrex Labs
- Comprehensive Lipid Analysis (cholesterol panel) – NMR Lipo-Profile, Cardio IQ – to assess risk for cardiovascular disease
- CardioMetabolic Assessment – Lab panel assessing for increased risk for diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- Genomics Profiles – performed through Genova Diagnostics – DNA analysis looking at specific genetic risk factors – Saliva Testing
Important Notes about our Practice:
We are a Functional Medicine Practice and offer medical consultations with an emphasis on diet and lifestyle as an approach to healing. We recommend supplementation, as deemed appropriate for specific symptoms or conditions, and also utilize things such as Essential Oils in an holistic approach to health. We may recommend follow up with other holistic experts (eg. yoga, meditation, massage therapist, chiropractic, acupuncture, etc) to help in the healing process and to provide balance.
We offer an educational experience with each consultation. It is an opportunity to learn from a Functional Medicine practitioner and a Wellness Nurse. This is a unique experience where you can play a part in your own health by learning about dietary and lifestyle factors that can change the way you feel, the way you look and the path that you are currently on. It is important that you be in the driver’s seat when it comes to your health and wellness.
We offer education with supporting science, and we offer guidance. Much of what we discuss may seem contrary to conventional thinking and mainstream medical practice but it is based on a natural, holistic approach that has been utilized for centuries and is meant to assist with healing not concealing a disease process. Our discussions are based in human physiology and biologic function. It is not influenced by the pharmaceutical industry or by guidelines created through questionable research methods. We believe that everyone can benefit from a little education. Who knows and understands your body better than you?
No one should be perpetually bound to the Healthcare System.